Sunday, May 19, 2013

What I learned in Houston

Dear READER,


Once again I was in Texas at another conference. I love Texas. I don't know what it is about the state that draws me to it. It could be how everywhere you go there is an American flag up. Or it could be that the people are so friendly, Or that everywhere you go you are bound to see someone in Uniform. Whatever it is I love it.

This trip was a little different then most of my trips....for multiple reasons. With that said I ended up learning a lot of things. So let me share just some of those things that I learned with you. These may be helpful to you, but the real point of me writing them is so that I remember what I learned while I was down there.


Things I learned down in Houston:
  • I learned that in order to get a golf ball to go further than a foot in front of you, you must put a lot of thrust into your swing. This caused your arm to hurt after the event because you have been working it really hard. (it's like lifting weights at the gym)

  • I learned that I can't golf. I was at the driving rang...which for those of you who don't know what that is, don't worry I didn't either. It's where you go to hit golf balls just out into this open field. You stand at the top and hit all your balls out into this field just to hit them pretty much. I didn't see the purpose in it but those who do it take it very seriously.

  • I learned that renting a car is REALLY expensive. I also learned that when you return the car you must have a full tank of gas in it. I also learned that they hold extra money back on your card just in case you don't return the car.

  • I learned that while driving in Texas you should always have cash on you. This is because Texas likes to suck the money out of you while you drive. Also they don't take credit and if you come the the booth without cash you get a ticket of sorts and they take a picture of your car and then send you a bill. How silly -- even when the sign above the booth says full service you would think that, that would include credit cards as well - It doesn't!

  • I learned that sometimes what you think you want isn't what you really want. This one was really hard for me to learn. I thought I wanted something really bad. I was willing to fight for it and do everything I could to get it. When I got it, or started to get it......I realized that it wasn't actually what I wanted. I liked the idea of it but actually having it wasn't really what I wanted. If any of you have seen the 'Finder' you might find this concept familiar. The main character can find anything - you want it found you go to him. He always says that he'll find what you want but you are going to find other things that you might not like or want. Also he has this way of knowing that what they want him to find isn't really what they want. It's a great show but it ended terribly so if you start to watch it just be forewarned.

  • I learned that I need to be more social. I sat with someone and we discussed how life was going. We both did about the same things but as I listened to them I realized how unsocial they were....I then had to turn it right back on me as my life was pretty much the same. SOOOO I have to be more social and put myself out there more. I'll let you know how this one goes as it's really going to be a challenge for me as I live alone and work a lot and am going to have to find time to really be social and go out and do things. I'm excited about this but also a bit scared because it's an unknown to me.

  • I learned that I truly did love my Mission. My Mission was amazing and I can't image what my life would be like had I not gone. I also realized that when I find that Mr. Right - I want him to LOVE his mission as much as I loved mine. I know it sounds a bit unrealistic but I know people who loved their missions as much as I did and I know others who didn't love it as much and there is definitely a difference between the two.

  • I learned that if someone starts drinking at 3 in the afternoon that by 7 they could be completely wasted. I hate that people drink. It's really bad for your body and your mind. And you miss out on a lot of opportunities to maybe do something fun or have an intelligent conversation with someone else. It is just a pet peeve of mine and as i don't drink I think it might bug me more because I'm like lets go out and do something go bowling, walking, play board games, whatever it is and others are like no I'm our I've had to much to drink already so I need to go home ---- THE END ---- sorry a bit of a tangent there didn't mean to get all over that topic. I just once again learned that drinking makes you weird and unfriendly and harms your body. So glad I don't drink and never will.

  • I learned that if you are in a room full of guys and you are wearing a red skirt and black top that you will get everyone attention. I got called the lady in red all night long.

  • I learned that you should let people fall in love with you for you, instead of trying to be someone else in order to get someone to like you. Be true to you. Those who like you will love you longer and harder those who don't, well they are missing out and you are so much better then them.

  • I learned that being asked out for drinks isn't necessarily a date. It's like Mormons saying let go play Frisbee or volleyball. Not a date, just hanging out and I just need more people to make it fun.



  • I learned - and this one I made a bit separate as it's a really great lesson and I will really need to work on it. I learned that you need to give others the chance to learn and grow. You need to give them the change to fail and succeed. One of my coworkers taught me this as she was over pushing herself and not enjoying the moment because 'well it won't get done right if I'm not doing it'. What a sad thing to say or to even think. Yes I might do it the best and I might be able to accomplish it faster than others, but they will never learn if you don't let them do it and learn it. Teach along the way but don't hinder growth by doing it all yourself and just pushing others off to the side. ----- I am finding myself on both sides of the fence here. One in being the one who isn't able to learn and grow because someone else things well I am just going to do everything right now because well our committee isn't complete and I have been here longer and know more people so I can help them better. (So very frustrating) Yet I also found that I was the one who was saying instead of taking the time to teach and do I was doing it myself and just sending it because it was easier. How sad.....So I will be working on this - please be patience with me as it might take me a bit longer to get it right.


Ok so there are probably a few more things I learned while in Houston but those are the ones that have stuck with me more then the others. It's interesting how if you take the time to learn something or think about it long enough you can be taught.


Yours Truly,

Jenessa

No comments:

Post a Comment